For Crane Operators and Construction Project Sponsors
Construction or alteration, either permanent or temporary, including the use of a crane, on or in the vicinity of the Battle Creek Executive Airport is subject to the provisions of Title 14 CFR Part 77 including the requirement for an obstruction evaluation/airport airspace analysis to be conducted by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
In addition, Michigan’s Tall Structure Act requires such proposals to also obtain a Tall Structure Permit from MDOT Office of Aeronautics. The criteria for requiring a Tall Structure Permit is virtually identical to the FAR Part 77 criteria for notice to the FAA.
Please use the following information to submit Form 7460-1, Notice of Proposed Construction or Alteration, prior to construction.
An FAA Form 7460-1 is required if ANY of the following criteria are met:
– Any construction or alteration within 20,000 feet of the Battle Creek Executive Airport which exceeds a 100:1 slope from any point on the nearest runway.
– Any highway, railroad or other traverse way whose prescribed adjusted height would exceed the above noted standards.
– Any construction or alteration exceeding 200 feet above ground level, regardless of distance from the airport.
– Any construction or alteration actually located on the airport, regardless of height or location.
– When requested by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
For FAA Form 7460-1, please click here.
The FAA has an online notice criteria tool that can be used to determine if an application is required. The tool can be found by clicking here.
In accordance with Title 14 CFR Part 77, you must provide notice at least 45 days before the start date of proposed construction or alteration or the date an application for a construction permit is filed, whichever is earliest. However, it is reccommended that you file notice 60-90 days before planned construction.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Airport Operations Manager at 269-966-3470.
Title 14 CFR Part 77
FAA Obstruction Evaluation – General FAQ’s
Applying for a Michigan Tall Structure Permit
Michigan Department of Aeronautics Airspace and Zoning Page
Michigan Department of Aeronautics Home Page